Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What Makes Guinness A Great Beer To Drink


The Fizzics Of Guinness -- The Guardian

Look closely at a pint of Guinness and tell me: do the bubbles go up, or do the bubbles go down? Why is the head coloured the way it is? Is foam a gas, liquid or solid? An Irish physicist discusses.

Last Friday, Andy Connelly published the wonderful guest blog essay, "The science and magic of beer". His piece reminds me of some of the discussions I had with my beer-brewing physicist and engineer friends when I was a grad student. For example, look closely at a pint of Guinness and tell me: do the bubbles go up, or do the bubbles go down? Why is the head coloured the way it is? Is beer foam a gas, liquid or solid? I thought you might enjoy this little video as a follow up, where an Irish physicist discusses the "fizzics" of bubble formation in Guinness beer:

Read more ....

No comments: