Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Stopping Text Scams On Cell Phones

Hell Phone: Is There Any Way To Stop The Scourge Of Text Message Spam? -- Slate

Two years ago, I got a text message from a number with a Las Vegas area code. “Thanks for visiting our site!” it read. “Claim your $100 Gift card at www.topgiftsnow.com. Gift Code: 13Z76F. To end reply STOP.” Annoyed, I typed “STOP” and hit send. The next day I got another one. “STOP,” I typed again. Then came the deluge. “Clearance pricing on new cars!” my phone buzzed. “Start a career in law enforcement!” “You have 1 unread message from your secret crush!” At first they were all from Las Vegas. Then they were from Oregon, Idaho, and Nebraska. Every buzz meant another text message charge on my bill.

Read more
....

My Comment: How to stop text scams depends on your service provider. Check with them .... and they should help you out.

No comments: