Monday, February 15, 2010

Why I'm An ebook Convert -- Commentary

The Kindle . . . ideal for a furtive read of celebrity memoirs.
Photograph: Mario Tama/Getty Images


From The Guardian:

A Kindle or ebook won't have that 'new book smell' – but no one's going to judge you by its cover.

Following my blithering about the iPad the other week, I found myself thinking about ebooks. That's my life for you. A rollercoaster. Until recently, I was an ebook sceptic, see; one of those people who harrumphs about the "physical pleasure of turning actual pages" and how ebook will "never replace the real thing". Then I was given a Kindle as a present. That shut me up. Stock complaints about the inherent pleasure of ye olde format are bandied about whenever some new upstart invention comes along. Each moan is nothing more than a little foetus of nostalgia jerking in your gut. First they said CDs were no match for vinyl. Then they said MP3s were no match for CDs. Now they say streaming music services are no match for MP3s. They're only happy looking in the rear-view mirror.

Read more ....

No comments: