It IS Richard III: Scientists Reveal DNA Results Confirm 15th Century King's Body Has Been Found Under A Car Park In Leicester -- Daily Mail
* University of Leicester academics unveil their findings at press conference
* DNA sample matches that of a descendant of the king's maternal line
* Skeleton's spinal curvature also matched accounts of the humpback king
* Remains were uncovered by archaeologists at former church in Leicester
* Historical records say he was taken to the city after he was killed in 1485
Human remains found buried beneath a social services car park in Leicester are those of Richard III who was killed in battle in 1485, archaeologists confirmed today.
In an extraordinary discovery which rewrites the history books, the skeleton of the last of the Plantagenet kings was identified by DNA analysis after researchers traced his living descendants.
Investigators from the University of Leicester today revealed that the remains bore the marks of ten injuries inflicted shortly before his death.
More gruesome, however, was evidence of ‘humiliation’ injuries, including several head wounds - part of the skull was sliced away - a cut to the ribcage and a pelvic wound likely caused by an upward thrust of a weapon, through the buttock.
Read more ....
My Comment: This closes the chapter on one fascinating archaeological hunt.